Khichari is a great dish that adds the elements of spring wellness ! It is a wonderful combination of lentils, quinoa brown rice may also be used and your favorite vegetables . It is an important part of Ayurveda wellness and a simple way of getting those doshas in balance.
Spinach Lentil Quinoa Khichari
Recipe yield: 6 servings*
* Per serving: Calories: 246 Carbs: 37 gm Protein: 12 gm Fat: 6gm
Ingredients & Materials:
1 cup Masoor Dal (Red Lentils)
1 cup Organic quinoa
1 cup chopped raw organic spinach
2 tablespoon organic ghee
4-6 cups water
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon Ginger grated
Cilantro for garnish
1 large saucepan
1 lid to cover
1 wooden ladle
Cooking Method: Prep Time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Soak Masoor Dal 1 hour before using. Next wash and rinse dal and keep aside.
- Wash and rinse Quinoa and keep aside.
- Next put the sauce pan on the stove, keep the heat on medium. Add ghee, next add turmeric.
- Make sure the spices don’t burn. Reduce the heat to low if needed.
- Add grated ginger and sauté it. Next add chopped spinach and sauté.
- Next add Masoor dal and quinoa, salt to taste and mix well.
- Add 4 cups water and let it come to a boil. Cover the saucepan with the lid, reduce the heat to low. Watch for the water content. After cooking on low for 20 mins, open the lid and gently stir.
- Check if masoor dal and Quinoa are cooked, if not add 1 cup water, cover and cook until dal and quinoa cook completely. The khichari consistency should be close to a rice casserole.
- Garnish with cilantro on top.
- Serve hot yummy khichari with ghee on top. Eat with coconut chutney for added flavor.