Millet Lentil Khichari
Recipe yield: 6 servings*
* Per serving: Calories: 263 Carbs: 46.4 gm Protein: 12 gm Fat:3.7 gm
Ingredients & Materials:
1 cup Masoor Dal (Red Lentils)
1 cup Millets
1 cup chopped raw organic spinach
½ cup raw onion
2 teaspoon Oil
4-6 cups water
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
Cilantro for garnish
Pinch of Salt
1 large saucepan
1 lid to cover
Cooking Method: Prep Time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Soak Masoor Dal (Lentils) and Millets in water separately for 1 hour before using. **Tip: Soaking helps with faster cooking ! Next wash and rinse Masoor Dal and Millets and keep aside.
- Next put the sauce pan on the stove, keep the heat on medium. Add Oil of choice ! **Tip: You can substitute oil with ghee as per your choice !
- Next add Cumin seeds, followed by turmeric.
- Make sure the spices don’t burn. Reduce the heat to low if needed.
- Add diced onion and saute it. Let it cook for couple of minutes. Next add chopped spinach and saute.
- Next add Masoor dal and Millets, salt to taste and mix well.
- Add 4 cups water and let it come to a boil. Cover the saucepan with the lid, reduce the heat to low. Watch for the water content. After cooking on low for 20 mins, open the lid and gently stir.
- Check if Masoor dal and Millets are cooked, if not add 1 cup water, cover and cook until Masoor Dal and Millets cook completely. The khichari consistency should be close to a rice casserole.
- Garnish with cilantro on top.
- Serve hot yummy khichari with steamed vegetables or with coconut chutney for added flavor.