Masoor Dal (Red Lentil Curry)
Recipe yield: 4 servings*
* Per serving: Calories: 206 Carbs: 31 gm Protein: 11.7 gm Fat:4.6 gm
Ingredients & Materials:
1 cup Masoor Dal (Red Lentils)
3 teaspoon Oil
4-6 cups water
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
Cilantro for garnish
Pinch of Salt
1 large saucepan
1 lid to cover
Cooking Method: Prep Time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Soak Masoor Dal (Lentils) in water separately for 1 hour before using. **Tip: Soaking helps with faster cooking ! Next wash and rinse Masoor Dal and keep aside.
- Next put the sauce pan on the stove, keep the heat on medium. Add Oil of choice ! **Tip: You can substitute oil with ghee as per your choice !
- Next add Cumin seeds, followed by turmeric.
- Make sure the spices don’t burn. Reduce the heat to low if needed.
- Next add Masoor dal and mix well.
- Add 4 cups water and let it come to a boil. Cover the saucepan with the lid, reduce the heat to low. Watch for the water content. After cooking on low for 20 mins, open the lid and gently stir.
- Check if masoor dal is cooked, if not add 1 cup water, cover and cook until Masoor Dal cooks completely.
- Add cilantro and mix well.
- Add Salt to taste.
- Serve hot yummy Masoor Dal with steamed vegetables and quinoa or brown rice.